If you own an aquarium, you obviously know how important it is to filter the water from time to time. Of course, you need to remove the harmful debris and chemicals to ensure proper living conditions. Hence, it is obvious that you need a proper filtration system. For the past few years, the canister filters have become very popular. It is because they have mechanical, biological as well as chemical filtration capabilities. So, they filter the water with utmost efficiency and keep it habitable.
Furthermore, these filters can work on both salt and normal water. Not able to settle your mind for that one right product? Go through our reviews and canister filter benefits for making it safer for the aquatic life.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Canister Filters Reviews
- 10. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter
- 9. SunSun Hw303B 370GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit with UV Sterilizer
- 8. Fluval 407 Performance Canister Filters – 120Vac
- 7. Polar Aurora External Aquarium Canister Filters with Builtin Pump
- 6. Marineland Magniflow Canister Filters for Aquariums & Fast Maintenance
- 5. Fluval FX4High Performance Aquarium Canister Filters
- 4. EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media
- 3. Polar Aurora External Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer for Aquarium 265 GPH Builtin Pump
- 2. Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filter for Aquariums
- 1. Fluval FX6 400 Gallon Canister Filter
Table of the Best Canister Filters Reviews
10. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter
For heavy-duty canister filter in the market, Penn Plax is the name that many recommend. Being a multi-stage filter that removes dirt at every level, this filter has an external filtration system. As a result, helps to produce the required clean water. Also, it is one of the most durable products standing strong under any pressure; this filter has state-of-the-art features. Accordingly, compared to its contemporaries and predecessors, the installation process of the same is quite easy.
Rest assured, you have a great piece in your hand. Besides, valves have a capacity of rotation of 360-degrees ensuring easy manoeuvring. Also, it comes with a floss pad to keep away the particulate matter and maintain safety standards. Furthermore, for improved bacterial growth, the course sponge provides the maximum area.
It comes with 3-media baskets which help to clean the junk present during every cleaning process. Plus, it has a carbon media filter that helps to remove the toxins of the filter.
Lastly, in the case to enhance the prime of the filter, a push-button primer is present.
- With a flow-rate of 265GPH, suitable for aquariums up to 100 gallons.
- Inclusive of multiple aspects tube, spray bar, directional spout, bio-rings and bio-floss.
- The stackable filter medium has containers which extra capacity and lift-handles.
- Its filters operate with minimal noise and create no odour at all.
- Carved of transparent plastic to ensure the proper see-through filter.
- Works on directional returns with an air-tight seal.
9. SunSun Hw303B 370GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit with UV Sterilizer
SunSun has made one of the product in this domain with its capacity to undertake a solid flow of water of pressurized water. Known to be one of the most performance-oriented filters, its durability and within the budget scenario makes it for a great buy.
So, are you a novice in terms of fish tanks? In that case – this is the perfect install-and-forget filter that you can check out. Plus, the water flow rate is a t370GPH. It also has 3-flexible media trays ensuring the addition of ceramic rings, activated carbon and bio-ball for ideal chemical and biological filtration.
Plus, with a perfect self-priming pump that negates the presence of siphoning. Interestingly, it also comes with triple media baskets with a coarse pad and filter pads. You will also get long canister filter hose, spray bar and suction cup. Lastly, it suits small cabinet-style tanks that operate in complete silence.
- Perfectly suitable for aquariums of up to 100 gallons especially for high flow of water.
- Comes with a control valve via which water’s flow rate is controlled.
- Features a 9-Watt built-in UV sterilizer that helps to kill algae, bacteria and other sporadic creatures thereby promoting clear water.
8. Fluval 407 Performance Canister Filters – 120Vac
Want to get rid of filter worries and yet want an external filter that matches all your demands? Fluval 406 format gives you the correct measure to get it. Having multiple unique factors that make this filter reliable, cannot stop wondering as to how a canister filter design is ergonomic in such respects. It also has a sound-dampening impeller that helps to minimize the sound level.
Furthermore, it offers energy-efficiency, ample flexibility and performance upgrade. Above all, it works for both fresh and saltwater scenarios. It also allows you to use dual locking clamps with a single action for quick release.
- Patented Aqua-Stop valves that help to ensure proper maintenance.
- For the trust in quality, it comes with a 3-Year warranty period.
- Comes with 4-media baskets that help to ensure that the junk is filtered out.
7. Polar Aurora External Aquarium Canister Filters with Builtin Pump
Polar Aurora has always been a name to reckon within the market and this newly upgraded filter is surely an amazing attraction to the group. Suitable for fish tanks up to 75 gallons, this filter has the positives of handling high-water pressure. It certainly has an adjustable feature as per requirement. A combination of bio-balls, ceramic rings and activated carbons make it one of the best in terms of filtration.
Given that, one gets an 18W hose for long reach. Most importantly, the O-ring ensures tight sealing and will not leak or slip.
- Has a capacity for a water flow rate of 265GPH.
- Includes an adjustable spray bar along with triple media trays.
- Its filter is of the under-gravel type with canister allowing double filtration.
6. Marineland Magniflow Canister Filters for Aquariums & Fast Maintenance
MarineLand is a name that you can surely rely on at any time. And this season it brings something that is suitable for spaces up to 100-gallons. In fact, its filter foam pads and black diamond carbon are specialised to deal with the water debris. No more of discolouration, odours or impurities, the carbon will totally keep it clean.
You can also stay assured of minimal maintenance when you buy this. Lastly, the canister filters lids tighten the water sealing with media baskets at your convenience.
- The multifaceted surface area provided by a combo of bio-balls and ceramic rings helps in the growth of bio-spires.
- Known for its spill-free set-up with filter foam pads to remove the debris.
- Additionally, the polishing filter pad acts out as water polisher.
5. Fluval FX4High Performance Aquarium Canister Filters
Ever thought of having a compact canister filter that works in both salt and freshwater environments? Well, Fluval is the company to trust! With multiple stages of filtration being the biggest standpoint, this works only in silence. However, also functions at a level of 100+ gallons. If you are on a budget and choosing one for your required aquariums, this is a great option.
It is popular for media baskets that are stacked to ensure minimal water leakage. Being self-starting this has trapped air-auto evacuation system. Plus, the valves are at a 45-degree angle for better efficiency and leak-proof Click-Fit system. The special Utility Valve has a drain hose that helps to flush off the canister. Above all, where the rubber feet help to ensure noise cancellation, the telescopic trainer ensures consistent water flow.
- Has the capacity to pump out 700 GPH with enhanced technology to manage water pressure.
- Inclusive of filter media chemical, biological and mechanical along with bio-foam media format.
- For correct monitoring and optimization of this product, there is Smart Pump technology via microchip.
4. EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter with Media
Among the most-used external filters, Eheim classic filter is a choice of many. Coming with multiple features that match the dynamic demands of today, this filter model has a solid built. As a result, has stainless steel clips to lock up the motorhead.
Using minimal power, this can manage a high rate of water flow and ensure that filtration is an easy process. Of course, to counteract the blockage of filter media–additional control functioning system is available. Moreover, the canister is square with–large volume/high stability/adjustable pump output levels. With a self-priming aid, you also get a ceramic axle for maximum durability. Lastly, it has the capacity to support different tank sizes and steel clamps do not rust.
- For easy cleaning and closing process, the sealing ring is of the Premo-elastic type.
- Inclusive of complete filter media Mech and Substrat Pro.
- Known for aquariums in the 30-160 gallons range.
3. Polar Aurora External Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer for Aquarium 265 GPH Builtin Pump
This triple-stage filter surely makes for a great choice, either in aquariums or in regular usage. With a capacity to maintain a high water flow-rate, it has a pump to draw water from the under-gravel filter. It also matches up the double filtration standards.
Perfect for every place, be it the living room or bedroom, this filter offers great service for money. Most importantly, its single-valve is disconnected and helps to remove the debris from the water.
- Triple media trays having the capacity to handle filtration media,
- Has an adjustable spray bar for maximising output flow.
- The self-priming pump ensures the negation of manual siphoning.
2. Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filter for Aquariums
Another of the best, this filter has a flow capacity of 530GPH that is bound to provide the best results. Its capacity to remove toxic products and provide crystal clear water makes this an easy pick for one and all. Do you want utmost suitability for aquariums? The high water flow can never go wrong. It can work excellently in 75 gallons of water that make it a pro. Having bio-filter balls, it facilitates in biological filtration that proves to be an advantage.
Above all, self-collapsing trays ensuring complete ease in maintenance. So, you will never have any trouble to use or maintain the filter.
- Comes with a 3-stage filtration process that will maintain the health of the water.
- Uptight filter media trays allowing no/minimal bypassing.
1. Fluval FX6 400 Gallon Canister Filter
This is another filter of the same company just with an additional FX6 format! Suitable for both freshwater and saltwater scenarios, this filter is known for its multi-stage format. As a matter of fact, it can hold up to a capacity of 400 gallons. Apart from its positives, in every survey, this filter has always ranked as one of the best. Therefore, clearly ensuring this as one of the best.
It also comes with Smart Pump with an advanced microchip technology format for optimization. Plus, it ensures proper bypassing of water. Finally, the media baskets have precise engineering.
- For the consistent flow of water, the telescopic strainer is of great help.
- If easy flushing is your demand, the purge valve with drain hose is a great option.
- To customise the water flow, the multi-directional output nozzle is of great help.
Your fish tank will always stay squeaky clean. Get a canister filter for an aquarium and give the aquatic life a fresh environment to live in.